All Pets Veterinary Clinic
Proper ear cleaning is essential in treating ear infections,
maintaining clean ears, and preventing ear infections from
reoccurring. Improper ear cleaning can result in injury to
the ear and a delay in treating an infection. If you need
assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the office for
Step by step instructions:
1. Hold tip of ear straight up.
2. Place a fair amount of liquid cleaning solution into the ear.
We most commonly use OtiSoothe cleaner. It can be purchased by clicking the
green box below. If your pet has a ruptured ear drum, we recommend the
use of sterile water.
3. Massage base of ear until you hear a squishing noise. This helps
to loosen any debris deeper in the ear canal.
4. While holding the ear tip straight up, use Q-tips to carefully
clean out any debris in the ear canal. Use the Q-tip straigt up and
down. Do not direct the Q-tip into the ear at any sort of angle.
5. Use cotton balls to wipe out any excess debris that has worked
its way out of the ear canals. Also clean out any debris that is
caught in the folds of the ear.
6. If medication was prescribed, medicate your petís ears according
to the directions on the label. Always use the medication as directed.
We typically recommend medication be applied to the ears twice daily
for one week.
The information provided is for educational purposes only and is not
intended to take the place of your regular veterinarian. Please do not hesitate
to contact your regular veterinarian if you have questions regarding your pet.
Karen Blakeley, DVM, MPH
27 September 2009